Saturday, June 30, 2007

You're so precious... Honey (cake)!

The cake I used for the finale of my Wilton course is actually this cute little cake. I was looking for a simple cake that wouldn't use up too many eggs or a ton of sugar... yes, I'm a certified cheap-o. I found a recipe for Honey Cake in my cookbook (Edith Adams Omnibus) and thought it'd be perfect. Just a heads up, this cake is very simple and delicious on it's own; but if you are wanting to frost the cake, you will have to double the recipe in order to make enough cake for 2 layers!

Honey Cake (Yield: single layer, 8-inch round cake)

Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp each cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves
- 7/8 cups milk
- 1 cup raisins (optional)

Method:
1. Cream shortening and brown sugar. Add in honey and egg.

2. Sift flour, soda, salt, baking powder and spices together.

3. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, alternately with the milk.

4. Add in raisins and pour batter into a prepared 8-inch round pan.

5. Bake for 1 hr at 350F.


This cake turned out more like a dry-ish bread, rather than a moist cake. The flavour slightly resembles traditional gingerbread, all it lacks is the molasses. My sisters actually really liked this cake. I thought they might, which is why I omitted the raisins... I use to hate raisins when I was younger, but have grown accustom to them. Maybe they'll grow fond of the shrively grape remnants as they age? We'll see...

No comments: