Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Bananas... continued

As promised, today I shall continue on with the tale of my Banana Misadventures. So... I left off my last post with many of you greatly anticipating what would become of the slowly browning baby bananas. I decided that, since I'm now legal, I would prepare a daring recipe of BANANAS FOSTER!!! Time to whip out the Captain Morgan's and go crazy :P I used the recipe I had in my Southern Cooking recipe book, but since I didn't have banana liqeuer I modified the recipe by using maple syrup instead.
Bananas Foster (Serves 4)

Ingredients:
- 4 baby bananas, peeled & sliced lengthwise
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 cup rum
- 1 match

Method:
1. Melt the butter and brown sugar in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat until you gain a thick syrup consistency.

2. Add in the cinnamon, allspice and maple syrup (the syrup may cause the mixture to sizzle, but that's okay) and mix thouroughly.

3. Add in the prepared bananas and coat with the brown sugar syrup. Reduce heat to low and cook each slice for about 2 minutes on each side, or until the banana is soft but still maintains its shape without breaking.

4. With heat still on low, add in the rum. (Be sure to pour the rum all around the pan, and not concentrate it in one particular area!)

5. Swirl the pan to spread the rum around. Set the pan down and light your match. Thrown the match into the pan and wait until the flam dies down.

NOTE: to really see the amazing flames you should dim the lights a bit

6. For each serving, place two scoops of vanilla ice cream into the bowl. Slowly and gently spoon two halves of banana (1 whole baby banana) into the bowl. Drizzle the ice cream with some of the brown sugar syrup and serve.


Here's the video of my Bananas Foster Flambé-ing. I added the bananaphone song to it, just because I thought it kinda fit... oh, alright I admit I just really like that song :P


Surprisingly, my sister who didn't like the taste of the baby bananas raw really enjoyed the bananas foster. Though, after a few bites the sweetness really hits you. Funny thing... my sister found the syrup to be too sweet, but my mom thought that it was just right (when does that ever happen?) My dad loved the rum in the syrup and ate it all up. Four bananas down, 2 more to go! Hooray! I might actually win this baking challenge I made for myself... which will be a first.

No comments: