Monday, June 25, 2007

Chinese Tea Eggs

We've had some hard-boiled eggs hanging out in our fridge for the past 4 days! I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure that eggs which have been kept for more than a week will go bad... so I decided to "tea-stain" the eggs to ensure that someone in the family would finally eat up these eggs. The trick worked! Actually, I was kinda tempted to eat one after I had cooked them :P But my dad also decided that he would eat one... Hooray! Only 2 more to go. If my mom eats one and I somehow can convince one of my sisters that it's not poisoned/rotten we'll finish these eggs off before the week is done!

Here's my recipe...

Chinese Tea Eggs

Ingredients:
- 3 cups boiling water
- 1 black tea bag
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp all spice
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 4 egg which have been hard-boiled and still have their shells

Method:
1. Take the eggs and gently tap them, with the back of a spoon, to crack their shells. Be careful that you do not dislodge any of the shell. These shell pieces are needed for the marbled "tea-stained" effect.

2. Place the water in a pot and bring to boil. Add in the tea bag, cinnamon, sugar, all-spice and soy sauce. Stir and let steep until the broth has a deep black/brown tea color.

3. Add in the "cracked" eggs and simmer in the broth for 2 hrs. Add more water, as necessary, to keep the eggs submerged at all times.

4. Turn off heat and let the eggs + broth cool.

5. Once completely cool, remove the eggs from their shells and serve.

No comments: