Thursday, June 07, 2007

Smores Cookies!

Okay, so since my sister and dad were going camping with the school on Tuesday I decided to make them some goodies to nibble on along the way. I know, I'm posting this a few days late... but at least I'm posting! I thought to myself... hmm what would I want to eat if I were super excited to be camping for the next few days? Then the thought of Smores popped into my head. But it'd be kinda hard to package the graham cracker-y, melted chocolatey and sticky marshmallowy treat... so what was I to do? Why place all these lovely ingredients in a cookie! Yeah for cookies!

Smores Cookies (Yields 12)

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, cold and cut into squares
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg white
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 pack of the Honey Maid Thinsations (or 1/2 cup coarse graham cracker crumbs)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup miniature marshmallows
4 oz milk chocolate (I used those melting wafers), chopped

Method:
1. Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg then vanilla.
2.In separate bowl, mix together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Stir in marshmallows and chocolate. Stir flour mixture into creamed mixture.
3. Gently press into 1 ½” balls (4 cm); place 2” (5-cm) apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake in centre of oven for 12 minutes or until golden. Let cool 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling racks.
I packaged these cookies in an regular brown paper bag, but gave it a little flair by adding a ribbon (which doubled as a wonderful bag sealer) and a cute little label. My sister thought that the package was darling, and my dad couldn't wait to open the bag... though I told him to wait until they were on the road to snack on these treats :P Don't know if he listened hehehe... oh, pops, you crack me up. Anywho, hope my sister and dad enjoyed the camping goodies.

HAVE A GOOD TRIP YOU TWO! WE MISS YOU AND CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR RETURN :)

No comments: