Monday, July 02, 2007

Corn-doggies

Alright, so they're not the most nutritious lunch in the world... but corn dogs are super tasty and bring back a wave of childhood, fair-ground memories. They also solve that age old question "What to do with extra hot-dogs, since they's sold ten to a pack when buns are sold eight to a pack?" <-- corn-dog 'em of course!

I got the recipe off of allrecipes.com, the reviews were right on the ball. I omitted the bacon fat (because I didn't have any) and used chicken dogs instead of pork dogs... still the recipe was a success. These corn dogs turned out nice and fluffy, with the perfect sweetness and a wonderfully moist texture. After dipping in the hotdogs I had quite a bit of batter left over, so I ended up making a couple hush-puppies. These also turned out fantastic, and I couldn't resist gobbling up a handful.

My sisters hadn't eaten corn dogs in a long time, and the Pogo brand ones sold in the grocery stores are quite pricey. Seriously, it is better, cheaper, more fun and tastier to make your own corn dogs than to spend your money on them (and at $7 for a package of 10, they aren't too cheap). My sisters approved of this recipe, so I think it's safe to say that kids will love you if you prepare these corn dogs. I love mine with mustard, and my sisters had their's with ketchup... but any way you dress them up, they're delicious!

No comments: