Saturday, April 05, 2008

Lunch-time Delight: Tuna Fettucine with Red-wine & Garlic Sauce


Going crazy with trying out different types of vinegar (*drool* vinegar is so tasty); last time I used Balsamic, but this time I decided to use red-wine vinegar. We had some left-over fettucine hanging out in the fridge and I wasn't really wanting to go through the hastle of making an entire meal from scratch (shame on me, I know!) and some canned tuna left-over from Macaroni Bake last Monday. My mind was racing with different combinations of ingredients, and as I tossed the carefully chosen ingredients into the sizzling pan I felt just like a real italian chef. I was frying the aromatics in the tangy sauce, adding in the pasta and tossing it around in the pan with (and without) my fancy cooking tongs. Oh what fun can be had in the kitchen!

Fettucine with Red-wine and Garlic Sauce

Ingredients:
- 2 cups cooked fettucine pasta
- 1/4 cup canned tuna, flaked
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped

- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, sliced

- 1 small onion, very thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar

Method:

1. In a bowl, toss together cooked pasta, tuna and cilantro until well combined
2. Heat mustard, honey, vinegar in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Mixing well to blend the ingredients
3. Add in shallot, garlic and onions; frying for 1 minute, or until raw smell is removed
4. Add pasta mixture to pan and toss until pasta is well coated with the sauce. Continue to fry pasta just until heated through.
5. Remove from heat and serve.

I quite enjoyed this dish. Anything with vinegar in it, I will devour. The tangy punch of the red-wine vinegar, mixed with sweetness of the honey, adds a beautifully full body to this pasta dish. Again, my mom had come back from work just in time to help herself to some of this pasta. She's not really into the fancy-schmancy dishes of pasta (she'd rather just have alfredo or tomato sauce with meatballs) but she did comment on how unique the flavor was. I suppose that's a compliment, but to tell you the truth, the only opinion that really matters is your own. I loved this meal, and I will definitely be making it again! Bon Appetite

No comments: