Saturday, April 05, 2008

Apple Bread Pudding

I was staring at my ready-to-go-mouldy bag of whole wheat bread (because i'm the only one in my family who will even touch the stuff) and I couldn't figure out how I was going to get the bread to be gobbled up. I knew I couldn't do it all by my lonesome, as there were about 12 pieces of bread that I had to deal with. So, using my sneaky culinary skills I decided to take these pieces of "healthy" bread and disguise them into a sweet-treat that my family would have no choice but to indulge in :P I'm so good that way!

Apple Chai Bread Pudding
Ingredients:
- 8 slices of bread, broken up into chunks
- 400ml milk
- 1/3 cup Tazo chai latte syrup (the kind that starbucks uses, and is sold in apple-juice-like cartons)
- 1 handful of raisins
- 1 red delicious apple, sliced into thin wedges
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinammon
- powdered sugar to decorate

Method:

1. Place broken bread in a casserole dish, add in the raisins.
2. In a separate bowl, mix together the milk, chai syrup, eggs, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.
3. Pour egg mixture over the bread chunks. Mix this together, press it down and just try to get the bread soaking up a lot of the liquid.
4. Place casserole dish in the fridge for 30mins. Preheat oven to 350. Once casserole has rested, decorate with apple slices and bake for 40-45mins or until firm and not runny.
5. Remove from oven and slice into generous servings. Dust with powdered sugar and serve to an unsuspecting family :P

My sisters gobbled this up, and my dad helped himself to a large slice. My mom on the other hand decided she would have any becuase she doesn't enjoy overly sweet desserts (which I didn't find this one was, but too each her own). So, I was able to use up those slices of bread and no mold was had! My family ate up some whole-wheat bread and maybe next week we'll run a marathon :P Hooray for health (if you can call this healthy)

No comments: