Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Corn-dog Reworked

Okay, so I didn't have all the oil necessary for deep-frying these bad boys :( I know... but I was sooo craving some cornmeal-something for lunch and the best recipe I had was for corndogs! What was I to do? *Light-bulb* I'll just have to bake them... after all, I'm sure that's what the traditional cornmeal eating natives did before the white man came along and introduced them to deep-fried turkey :P (That's my take on the first thanksgiving). So bake them I shall... and that's what I did

Corn-dog Muffins (yields 10 muffins)

Ingredients:
- 1/8 cup chopped jalapenos
- 2 hot dogs, chopped into tiny chunks
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 cup flour
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cup milk

Method:

1. Mix together the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Blend well
2. Make a well in the center and add in the eggs and milk. Stir
3. Add in the hot dogs, jalapenos and peppers.
4. Pour batter into prepared muffin tin, filling about 2/3 of the way. Place in a 350F oven for 15 minutes, or until a tooth-pick inserted comes out clean.
5. Remove from pan and cool on wire rack. Eat them nice and hot! With lots of butter.

Without the deep-frying, you would think that the taste would be a little bland. Actually, the "muffins" turned out very nicely. I really enjoyed the spice that the jalapenos add, but I always add more tobasco sauce to everything. The best part of baking them was watching my sisters' faces as they exlaimed, "Are those peppers in your muffins!?" I laughed and said yes and one sister dove right in. The other was a little apprehensive, but I think she'll come around.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this looks great! I think I'm gonna make them for my lil' bro who always wants corn dogs, but we never eat out :)