Friday, February 16, 2007

Breakfast Time!

Didn't feel like eating the regular breakfast of eggs, sausage and bacon... a bit too greasy for me so early in the morning. My family usually eats that meal every Saturday morning, call it tradition. I've decided to lay off on all that fatty, meaty stuff for now... who knows, I may revert back to it :P But this morning I made 2 small breakfast casseroles using my newly bought ramekins. They were on sale at Winners, for 2 bucks... and since I'd been looking for a pair I decided to snatch these ones off the clearance shelf.

Breakfast Casserole (serves 2)

Ingredients:

-2 tsp butter
-1 egg, slightly beaten
-1/3 cup milk
-1/4 cup cooked hashbrown
-1/4 cup marble cheese, shredded
-2 tbsp green onions, chopped
-1 rasher of bacon, crumbled
-4 medium sized brocolli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces

Method:
1. Grease ramekins evenly, making sure to cover all the way up the sides.
2. Line the bottom of the ramekins with the cooked hashbrown pieces.
3. Mix together the green onions, bacon, and brocolli. Then divide mixture between the two ramekins.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the slightly beaten egg and milk. Divide evenly between ramekins and be sure to cover the brocolli mixture. Sprinkle with cheese.
5. Place in oven (325° F) for 10-15 minutes, or until egg mixture is fully cooked.
My parents really enjoyed it, although my mom (and her aversion to potatoes) didn't really like the hashbrown layer. My sisters didn't really want to try this; they stuck with their eggs, bacon, sausage and hashbrowns. I guess the brocolli turned them off... not their kinda breakfast :( But hopefully it's yours! Enjoy.

No comments: