Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Carrot and Herb Biscuits

I got this recipe out of the Pillsbury Ultimate Baking Book. I'm not quite sure if that's the real title of the book... I'm just guessing because I borrowed the book from my library quite a while ago and only decided recently to bake these biscuits :p
If you are a huge fan of cornbread then this recipe is definetly for you. I loved these biscuits, and although they are kinda up there calorie wise their deliciousness really makes up for it. Although a dinner biscuit, these "savoury" buns turn out having a mildly sweet taste... but never-the-less, they complimented my Honey Mustard Chicken dinner to a tea. These biscuits are a bit crumbly, but that just adds to the melt-in-your-mouth feeling of eating fresh and delicious, home baked, southern style biscuits.
Since there are only five people in my family and the recipe yielded 12 biscuits I decided to half the recipe and they still turned out nicely.

Carrot and Herb Dinner Biscuits (serves 12)

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp dried basil leaves
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup margarine or butter
1/3 cup shredded carrotes
1/3 cup milk
1 egg

Method:
1. Pre-heat oven to 400ºF. In medium bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, basil, parsley flakes and salt; blend well.

2. Using pastry blender or fork (I enjoy using my fingers), cut in margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

3. Stir in carrots. Add milk and egg, stirring just until moistened.

4. to form each biscuit, drop 1/4 cup of dough onto ungreased cookie sheet.

5. Bake at 400ºF for 12-14 minutes or until light golden brown. Serve warm.

Nutrition Per Serving: Calories 210; Protein 3 g; Carbs 21 g; Fat 12 g; Sodium 310mg.

No comments: