Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Grapefruit Curd Cups


Okay, so I decided to make a separate post of my SHF recipe. The last time I commented on doing something citrus-y for Mother's Day... but, the celebration was just so hectic that I completely forgot! I didn't forget to make the recipe, I just forgot to serve it! When does that ever happen? The citrus dessert was sitting in my fridge, yearning to be eaten but alas... it would have to wait until the next day to be devoured :P

As I previously commented, I am very excited to be making a citrus dessert. To tell you the truth, I haven't really used much citrus lately... aside from a little lemon juice here and there, but I don't think that counts. This time though, I decided to use a lesser-used fruit... GRAPEFRUIT! Yum! I simply love the bitter-sweet taste of grapefruit, it's one of the most simple and elegant tastes out there. So anyways... without further adieu, here is my contribution to SHF #43... Grapefruit Curd Cups!



Grapefruit Curd Cups
Ingredients:
- Juice of 2 large grapefruits (approximately 1 cup), strained
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp corn starch + 1 tsp water (thickening slurry)

Method:

1. Combine sugar and grapefruit juice in a small pot and stir over medium heat until sugar is fully dissolved. Once dissolved, remove from heat and allow to cool to a warm temperature.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the two eggs together.
3. Slowly add egg to the grapefruit + sugar mixture, be sure to constantly stir the curd in order to prevent chunks of egg from forming.
4. Strain the curd, return to heat and cook over medium heat until the curd begins to thicken (approximately 5mins). Stir constantly.
5. Slowly add in the slurry mixture and continue to cook curd until it thickens further, 2-3 mins.
6. Once cooked, set aside and let cool before placing into serving cups.
7. Decorate as you wish and enjoy.

For the original SHF #43 Post:
http://tartelette.blogspot.com/2008/05/announcing-sugar-high-friday-43-citrus.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Very original! I love it, thank you for your entry!