Sunday, January 06, 2008

Lunch-time Delight: Random Rice


Another lunch-time rolls around and I am completely unsure of what to make for myself. Usually this doesn't matter, because I can just microwave leftovers and eat whatever. But since school's not in session, my sisters are home with me and I must prepare for them a fine meal with all the ingredients necessary to nourish young growing girls. Hmm... let's see... I felt really ambitious, but knew that I couldn't screw this up. Kids can be very finicky sometimes and you have to tailor your food to their tastebuds. And so I settled on a variation of mexican red-rice... an asian variation... Sweet-'n- Sour Rice (that's red)!

Sweet-'n- Sour Rice

Ingredients
- 4 cups of leftover, steamed white rice
- 2 tbsp chopped garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup citrus juice (I couldn't find orange or pineapple, so I used peach :P)
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce (or more to taste)
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup frozen vegetables
- 1 chicken breast, grilled and chopped

Method:

1. Heat vegetable oil in a deep-sided, non-stick frying pan and add in garlic. Fry over medium heat until fragrant. Add onions, but don't let them reach the transluscent stage.
2. Add in the ketchup, soy sauce, juice, wocestershire sauce and heat through.
3. Add in the rice, breaking up any large chunks. Add in the vegetables and the chopped chicken. Continue to fry over medium heat for 3 minutes.
4. Remove from heat and serve.

The prep time actually took longer than the cooking time. I had made enough rice for our lunch, while still having a ton left over. Needless to say, this dish was a hit... with my sisters and my parents. I'm not sure what they liked about it, only that they said it was really good. When they asked me what the dish was called I couldn't think of a good name for it, so I replied "random rice". It truly was, I just added a ton of ingredients that I knew tasted good together and voila! Enjoy

No comments: