Sunday, January 06, 2008

Chwee Kueh


Hmm... I've been thinking that it's about time I got back to my nonya roots. So today I decided to make somemore kueh. So far, I can't decide if I like the sweet or savory kueh better... but it's a close call. Thought I would attempt a new recipe (I'm adventurous that way) and here's what I came up with.

Chwee Kueh

Ingredients:
- 1 3/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 tsp chicken broth granules (or salt)
- scant 3 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil

Filling

- 1 cup chai poh (pickled radish)
- 50g dried scrimps, chopped
- 5 tbsp oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 chinese mushrooms, soaked and chopped (optional)
- spoonful of belacan (optional)

Method:

1. Mix together the 2 flours and chicken broth granules.
2. Slowly mix in the half of the water and ensure that no lumps form. Boil the remaining water and slowly add it to the flour mixture, until it thickens. Stir in the oil, until well incorporated.
3. Grease chwee kueh molds and place in steamer, on high, for 5 minutes. Pour in the rice flour mixture and steam for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat oil in frying pan and fry garlic until fragrant. Add in the shrimp, chai poh and mushroom (if using).
5. Continue to fry until the mixture becomes dry. Then finally add the belacan (if using) and the sugar.
6. For assembly: unmold the rice cakes onto a plate and top with the filling mixture. Serve hot.

No comments: