Friday, January 04, 2008

Back to Basics: The GORP Cookie

I can't believe how difficult it was to find the perfect cookie recipe. There are just so many out there that it was hard to make up my mind. Chocolate chip? White chocolate chip macadamia nut? Double Chocolate chip? Chocolate chip with raisins or oatmeal? With all the ingredients in the world how could one possibly pick just one to make the perfect cookie? All right, so my idea isn't original, as the GORP cookie already exists... and people have been sticking random ingredients into their cooking since the beginning of existence, but here is my contribution.

Jo's GORP Cookie (yields 38)

Ingredients:
- 125g butter, softened
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 oz milk chocolate, broken into chunks
- 3 oz white chocolate, broken into chunks
- a handful or raisins (optional) <-- sadly, I'm the only one in my family who likes them

Method:

1. Preheat oven to 375F.
2. Place butter, vanilla and sugar in bowl and beat until creamy.
3. Beat in eggs, then stir in flour, baking powder, coconut, oats and chocolate.
4. Roll tablespoonfuls of mixture into balls, placing them on baking trays. Press down lightly and allow room for cookies to spread.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned.

They turned out a little smaller than I'd hoped for, and didn't spread out all that much. They were like little nuggets of goodness that were delightfully soft. My sisters grabbed them by the handful and gobbled them down, guess they didn't mind that I had just randomly added ingredients.

No comments: