Monday, December 17, 2007

Lunch-time Delight: Mushroom-Rice Bake

I honestly just threw together this recipe after my final day of exams. It was beginning to snow outside and I really just wanted to eat some warm, comfort food. YEAH! I'm finished exams! I can't believe that I've completed what is, supposedly, the hardest semester of nursing! My kitchen has been missing me and calling my name... an finally I can answer the call :P

Mushroom-Rice Bake
yields one 9x3 casserole dish
Ingredients:
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, condensed
- 1 soup can of water
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1/2 cup canned mushrooms
- 1 cooked hot dog, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups leftover rice
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Sprinkle of panko

Method:

1. Fry the onion with oil in a deep-sided frying pan, until transluscent.
2. Add in cream of mushroom soup, followed by a can of water. Bring to a boil and add in frozen vegetables. Continue to boil over medium heat for 5 minutes.
3. Add in mushrooms and hot dog slices. Continue to cook over medium heat.
4. Mix in the rice, adding more in order to make a very thick mixture. Add pepper to taste.
5. Pour half the mixture into a 9x3 casserole dish and sprinkle on half of the cheese. Finish filling the casserole dish and top the bake with the remaining cheese; add a generous handful of panko.
6. Place the rice-bake in a 350F oven and cook for 10 minutes, or until cheese gets melty and bubbly.
7. Switch oven to "broil" and bake your casserole until the cheese begins to brown and get crispy.

My sister, who doesn't like mushrooms, was turned off by my mention of the fungus :P But my other sister didn't care. When I mentioned melty-cheese, she dug into the dish right away. I love making comfort food and sharing it with family, it's the only way prepare dishes from the kitchen. I will definitely be making this recipe again.

No comments: