Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Finishing up those cranberries...

Wahoo! I'm coming back to cooking. Man, it seems like it's been way too long. I've finished off my last week of lecture and am ready to roll... roll out the dough that is :P I know, I know... very corny. All I have to complete are three exams and one Fine Arts Presentation, and once that's over I'm heading to my safe-house, my kitchen. In order to get myself back into the mood of cooking I decided to go back to my roots, baking. I flipped through my copy of Williams-Sonoma Baking and my attention was caught by a beautifully arrainged bunch of white-chocolate, cherry bars. I decided that this would be the perfect recipe for me to finish up the cranberries I had left-over from making biscotti. And it was...

Cranberry-Butterscotch Squares

Ingredients:
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup butterscotch chips

Method:
1. Sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
2. In a separate bowl, combine butter and both sugars; mixing until fluffy. Add in egg and vanilla, mixing well.
3. Add dry ingredients to wet and stir until it just comes together.
4. Pour batter into greased 9x13 inch pan.
5. Bake at 350 degrees, for 35-40 minutes.
6. Cool completely and then cut into 16 bars.

So I exchanged the cherries for cranberries, so I used butterscotch instead of white-chocolate... no big difference. My sisters loved them. Even the the youngest one, who hates fruits ate an entire square (and a half). My mom was glad that I had made something that wasn't overly sweet; and my dad was enjoying the treat while taunting out dog (don't worry, we gave him a doggy treat and he was pleased). Safe to say that I will be using this recipe again.

No comments: