Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Lunch-time Delight: Brocolli Soup


On a wintry day in December I decided to cozy up to the fireplace with a steamy bowl of brocolli soup... Albeit, it wasn't snowing like it was on Sunday, but it was still quite chilly. And now the recipe.

Brocolli & Cheddar Cheese Soup

Yields 6 servings (1 cup each)

Ingredients

- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp Kraft Italian Dressing
- 1 can (284ml) chicken broth
- 2 broth cans of water
- 4 cups brocolli, chopped
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup white rice, cooked (I used left overs)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

Method:

1. In a large saucepan, cook the onions in dressing until tender.

2. Add broth, water and brocolli. Boil the mixture for 8 minutes, or until brocolli is tender. Stir in the milk and rice. Lower heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes.

3. Pour soup (in batches) into the blender and pulse until smooth. Return soup to saucepan and reheat.

4. Spoon soup into bowls and top with shredded cheese.

I couldn't finish all the soup by my lonesome, so I let my family have a taste. My sister commented that it didn't taste the same as "regular" brocolli soup, but that it was good none-the-less. I guess that's what the world of prepared food has done to our society; when given the old-fashioned, homemade soup our tastebuds just don't understand!

No comments: