Thursday, March 13, 2008

Oatbran & Flax Bread

Woah, I can't believe that I actually took the big leap and decided to try my hand at baking bread. And not just any bread, a cob!! Yes, the traditional and rustic crusty bread... made of course with my use-to-be enemy yeast :)
After the great success I had last week with the Japanese Melon-pan, I really wanted to work on my yeast-bread skills. I totally should have been working on my RELS paper (which is due in a week) but I couldn't concentrate, and kneading bread dough seems to be a good stress-reliever. I used the recipe from bakingbites.com, because it seemed pretty straight forward (I don't think I'm up to doing the "crazy" breads yet).

The dough smelled amazing as it rose, and even better as it baked. I wanted the crust of my bread to turn out really crunchy, so I used the steam + bake method that involved filling a shallow sheet-cake pan with water and placing it on the rack below my bread. I also spritzed some water around the oven and on my bread (just to make sure that it would come out nice and crunchy). I'm glad to say that the bread was a success. My parents and I enjoyed it with some delightful basil-mayo topped with tomato, and also some poppyseed-goat cheese spread! Delicious... and fresh from the oven. I can't wait to try out some more yeast recipes (wow... didn't think I'd ever be saying that!)

No comments: