Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Lunch-time Delight: Baked Onion and Feta


What can I say, I'm a sucker for discount foods. It's a disease, I know it. But just this afternoon, I decided to go shopping at Real Canadian Superstore. I had to pick up a couple of things to prepare for mom's 50th birthday... eggs, whipping cream, fruits, white chocolate (now you know it's gonna be good) and just chanced upon the deli section. I seriously can not go to a supermarket and not look around. I'm always browsing each aisle and making sure I've seen all the food they have to offer. Whenever I tell myself that I'm only going to be going in for 1 item, I'll always spend 1 hr in the store and end up coming out with a bag full of groceries (not good when you're poor university student).
But anyways, back to the focus of this blurb. I chanced upon the deli section and to my surprise, they had sundried-tomato feta cheese at 50% off!! It was discounted for quick sale because it was going to expire in 2-days. Pft... I could make a meal with this cheese today! I was sold... Anywho, I drove back home and planned out my meal. It was going to be something simple; simple and delicious.


Baked Onion and Feta

Ingredients:
- 4 medium onions
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3 oz feta, crumbled
- 1 tsp thyme (but I always add in a bunch more)
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1/4 cup panko + more for coating
- dash of ground pepper


Method:

1. Set oven to 375F
2. Peel onions; cut the top 1/3rd of the onion off (leaving the core/root intact). Place the onions cut-side down in a baking tray and fill it with the chicken broth.
3. Cover tray with aluminum foil and bake onions for 30mins, remove the foil and continue to bake for another 30mins.
4. Meanwhile, mix together feta, herbs, panko and pepper.
5. Remove onions from the oven (they should be beautifully caramel-y and browning), flip them over so that the cut side is on top. Remove the inner few "rings/chunks" of onion (I usually only take out 3-4 pieces)... go ahead and eat these!
6. Fill the onion-hole you've just created with the cheese mixture and stuff it well. Sprinkle on some extra panko breadcrumbs for added crispiness.
7. Set the oven to broil and then place the onions back in the oven for about 1-2 minutes, or just until the cheese melts and the panko is beautifully golden in color.


My mom arrived home just in time to share in this delightful meal with me. I was very excited to have her test out this very spontaneous recipe, and whew... she like it. Well, even if she didn't I sure did and will definitely be making this again. Mmmm, I smell a themed-dinner coming up. Hmm, maybe when I have more free time :P

No comments: