Thursday, February 21, 2008

Caramel Macaroons


This is one recipe that I've been dying to try out. Ever since I've become a foodie (some 2 years ago) I was fascinated by the elegant look of the French Macaroon. But my search for the perfect recipe was not turning up any results. I finally found this one, from Tartelette (an amazing blog, I must say) and it was perfect! The macaroons came out light and beautifully crisp. The only variation I made was to used a different recipe for the sauce (instead of a dulce de leche, I opted for caramel fudge). The recipe is as follows...


Caramel Fudge

Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

Method:
1. In a pot, combine 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar, corn syrup, and sweetened condensed milk
2. Bring to a boil; continuing to boil for 5 minutes
3. Remove from heat and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon for about 3 minutes
4. Cool until it begins to firm slightly, and then use spoonfuls as filling for your macaroons


Sadly, one of my sisters wasn't able to eat these, as she's allergic to nuts but my parents and my other sister quite enjoyed this sweet treat. Because these macaroons only use egg whites, I decided to use the egg yolks for another recipe that I have been longing to try... and one that everyone in my family can enjoy. PANDAN AGAR AGAR!!! Coming soon...

1 comment:

Helene said...

They turned out great! Thak you for your readership and I wish you many more succesful macaron posts!