Monday, October 08, 2007

OMG it's been too long!

I know, it's been almost an entire month... and I've had nothing to show for it, except a cramped writing hand and two very tired feet. Nursing is a task, I'll tell you that much. I love the occupation to pieces, but I just haven't gotten the hang of balancing school with good ol' kitchen hang-time. Funny thing is, I spend almost all my time in the kitchen. I do my work on the kitchen table and eat my meals there too (duh!), but I haven't gotten my hands dirty and I truly miss that. My parents had gone away for the long weekend (to Las Vegas) and they left me and my two sisters to fend for ourselves. So, I finally dusted off my kitchen gear and busted out the big guns... hehehe, I wish. I was kind of lazy after my 12hr shift at the hospital, so I decided to whip up something pretty simple for our dinner. Shepherd's Pie!

Shepherd's Pie (For 3)

Ingredients
- 3 Russet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 lb ground beef/pork
- 1 tbsp Wosterchire sauce
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed-vegetables, thawed
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup chicken/beef stock

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 350F
2. Prepare the potatoes by boiling them until soft. Mash, adding the butter and milk until the mixture is a creamy consistency. Set aside.
3. Cook beef/pork in a non-stick frying pan until meat begins to brown.
4. Add onions and thawed veggies.
5. Add Worcestershire sauce, flour and chicken/beef stock; mix until well combined. Let simmer covered for 15minutes.
6. Place meat mixture into a casserole dish, cover the meat with mashed potato mixture and spread until evenly distributed.
7. Bake dish for 30minutes, or until the potatoes begin to brown.


My sisters, love this dish. My parents hadn't made this in a long time, so I thought I give it a whirl. That way, if it wasn't as good as my parent's recipe my sisters would never know :P I'm so sneaky that way. They gobbled it down, but not before adding a butt-load of gravy... boy do they love their gravy (especially the KFC kind!)

No comments: