Saturday, October 27, 2007

Lunch-time Delight: The Simplest Samosa


I will not lie, I love to make things quick and easy whenever I can (that's why I'm a sad case when it comes to bread :O) So anyways, I was raiding my fridge this afternoon and wondered what to eat. I was really craving some indian-inspired spice, but wasn't about to drive down to grab it (I guess I'm lazy that way). I remembered that we had eaten mashed potatoes the other night and thought about eating it... but man, mashed potatoes are pretty bland. I through some spices and veggies into it and it smelled just like a samosa. Hmmmm.... this got my creative juices flowing. Let's whip up some healthy, easy samosas!
Simple Samosa
Ingredients:
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup frozen veggies, thawed and microwaved for 1 minute
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- a sprinkle of fennel flakes and some pepper ( I use cayenne, because I love the heat!)
- Four 10" flour tortillas, warmed and cut in half
Method:
1. Mix together all the ingredients except for the tortillas
2. Take one tortilla-half and roll/shape it into a cone. Fill it with your potato mixture (don't go overboard :P)
3. Seal the edges of your samosa by dabbing your fingers in water and pressing the tortilla-edge. Prepare the other samosas the same way.
4. Deep-fry in hot oil, until golden-brown; or for a healthier treat, bake in a 325˚C oven until the outside is crisp.
5. Serve with chutney, curry, tikka masala... or just eat by itself... Yum!
My sister's don't really enjoy samosas, but my mom really liked it. She and I are in this "eat healthy" stage, well... we try anyways. But my dad still prefers the real thing :P (You can't blame him)

No comments: