Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Lunch-time Delight: Curry Yaki-Udon


Ah, the school year is creeping nearer and nearer. I have just one more day of sweet freedom, before I'm forced back into a routine of late-nights, term papers and final exams. But before I am captured by the coming of my second university year, I had to prepare a little somethin' somethin' for the second to last lunch I'd be spending at home. Oh kitchen, I will miss thee... we had such a good time together during the long summer months. But sadly, we will be seeing less and less of each other. Can you believe that every Friday I'll be at MSA for my nursing clinical placement. Doesn't sound too bad eh? Except that it's from 7am to 7pm... gotta leave the house by 6:15am and won't be back until super late. URGH!!! Hopefully the hospital has decent food, since I'll be spending breakfast, lunch and dinner there :P Oh well, I guess nursing's all about the experience... I can't really complain.

Anywho, on to the special lunch I whipped up for myself. It was inspired by the trip to Bubble World I took with my sisters for Jackie's birthday outing. Click here to see the post. I guess I really liked their food, so I decided to make their Curry Yaki-Udon.


Curry Yaki-Udon

Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp oil
- 3 cups cooked udon noodles
- 1 cup chopped mixed vegetables (fresh, is best)
- 3 tbsp curry powder (or more if you like it stronger)
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chili powder/oil for spice (optional)

Method:
1. Heat oil in a non-stick frying pan, over medium heat. Add in the cooked udon and fry until heated through.

2. Add in the vegetables (I used: onions, carrots, mushrooms, zucchini and cabbage) and continue to heat over medium, until the veggies are cooked but still brightly colored.

3. Add the curry powder and mix well. Slowly add in 1/2 of the stock and simmer the mixture for 1-2 minutes. If the noodles begin to dry up, add more chicken stock.

4. Add salt, pepper and chili (if using). Cover the dish and simmer over low heat for 2-3 minutes.

5. Remove from heat and serve.

This recipe was really just a mish mash of ingredients that I had on hand. No recipe or anything! And it actually turned out very tasty. I love experimenting in the kitchen and creating my own recipes, but I'll miss that excitement when I go back to school. *Sniff* I'll be back... don't worry!

No comments: