Monday, September 03, 2007

Lunch-time Delight: Couscous with Lemongrass Curry Sauce

Since my last lunch creation was super simple, I decided to try something a little different today. I had always been interested to know what couscous tasted like, and when I saw it in the bulk aisle of Superstore I decided that I would give it a shot. So I bought about 500g of the stuff and was on my way. Now all I had to do was determine what I would use this couscous for... hmmm, salad? soup? meat & veggie mix? After scanning the many couscous recipes on the internet I decided to go for a lemongrass curry sauce recipe. To add some life to the lemongrass sauce I decided to add in a 1/3 cup frozen mixed vegetables and a cooked/cubed potato. While reducing the sauce I noticed that it could have been a bit thicker in consistency. So I added 2 more tbsp of coconut milk and a bit of cornstarch.

Then it was on to the couscous! I placed 1 cup of couscous in a pot, add in 1 3/4 cup water and brought the mixture to a boil. Within a quick 5 minutes the couscous was done. I couldn't help sampling it before I added the lemongrass curry sauce... and it tasted much like cream of wheat. Perhaps the next time I cook couscous I'll eat it with some brown sugar and milk... yum.

No comments: