Since finals are approaching (and me being the kind of person who can't go 1 week without baking something)... I decided to make a really simple recipe FA GAO! I just love this light and fluffy cake. This was an excellent decision.
Simple Fa Gao
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut milk (the good quality thick stuff)
1. Sieve flour and brown sugar together, this helps remove sugar clumps and gives the cake an nice fluffy texture.
2. Mix in coconut milk.
3. Add enough water to make batter ribbon-like in consistency.
4. Pour into prepared muffin tin and steam on high for 13 minutes. (NOTE: Do not open the lid of the steamer for the first 10 minutes... this helps ensure that the cake "smiles" nicely)
5. Allow to cool in pan and then remove... eat fresh, with a mixture of brown sugar and dessicated coconut. Enjoy!
Recipe Yields: 6 servings
Since the weather here's been pretty gloomy and wet, my parents really enjoyed eating this cake and remembering the sunny and warm atmosphere of Malaysia. My sister, who loves coconut and brown sugar was so excited that I was making this recipe... when your family enjoys your baking, it just makes it that much more special :P