Here's the turkey, accompanied by it's friends: potato, stuffing and butter-laden brussel sprouts!
Raisin, Red Onions and Rum Sweet Potatoes
- 1 kg sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup raisins, soaked in 3 tbsp of dark rum (for at least 10mins)
- 1/4 cup apple cider
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg, ground
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Toss together the sweet potatoes and vegetable oil and spread out on a baking sheet, making sure to coat all the pieces of sweet potato with oil
2. Add the molasses, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper to the sweet potatoes. Mix well until all of the pieces are seasoned.
3. Place in a 350 degree oven and bake for 10mins.
4. Remove pan from oven, and add the raisin+rum mixture and the apple cider (deglazing the pan and preventing the potatoes from burning)
5. Add in the red onions and continue to bake the entire mixture at 350 degrees for another 20mins or until the potatoes are tender.
Hehehe... my dinky (yet tasty) looking cheesy popovers.
Get the recipe: HERE
All-in-all, for a pretty low-key Thanksgiving we had a blast. We spent a lot of time attempting to carve the turkey "properly" but then kinda gave up and ripped it apart (see the first pick for proof). It was great to just forget about school and the stresses of life and simply give thanks for being in good-health and being with family! Here's wishing all of you a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!