Monday, March 23, 2009

Searching for my perfect cookie...


I am a sucker for the soft, thin and chewy/bendy chocolate chip cookie. I've always been envious that Safeway can make them so perfectly, but whenever I try to bake a batch of cookies they always turn out either thick and cakey or thin and crispy.... grrrr the frustration! But after weeks of searching, and batches of "failed" thin-chewy cookie attempts (failed is in quotations, because my sisters actually found the cakey ones to be a success :P) I thin I have stumbled upon the perfect recipe. And the best part of it is, that it doesn't use any egg... meaning that I can half the recipe to make a small batch for myself whenever I want!! (I hate trying to divide an egg in half :s).

The Thin and Chewy...

Ingredients
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries

Method:
1. Beat together butter and sugars in a bowl. Gradually add in 3 tablespoons of water, and the vanilla until the mixture is smooth.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Add this into the butter mixture, stirring until just combined. Add in the chips, nuts and berries.
3. Drop the batter by the tablespoon onto a baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes, or until the edges are crisp but the center is still pale.
4. Remove from tray from oven and allow cookies to firm up a bit on the tray (approx 5 minutes). Carefully use a spatula to release the soft cookies from the tray and transfer cookies to cooling racks.

I just have to say that these cookies were aaaaammmaazing!!! My sisters simply fell in love with them. After they picked out the cranberries, they gobbled up almost the entire batch! Actually, it was a good thing they ate most of them because otherwise I would have been shoving all the cookies into my mouth :P This is a must save, frame and always use recipe! I think next time I'll try different combinations of mix-ins... hmmm, oatmeal? raisins? dried dates? who knows...

1 comment:

Steph said...

I like cookies exactly the way you do.. thin and chewy. Almost like those Tim Horton's ones, but I haven't had one in such a long time I think I forgot what they taste like.