Thursday, July 10, 2008

My Lazy Breakfast


Having worked a 12 hr night shift at the hospital yesterday, I wasn't in the mood for anything fantastical for breakfast. But, I was wanting to eat something hearty, warm, filling and savoury. My cooking instincts got the best of me and I decided to whip up some little breakfast tarts, in my from scratch... no recipe tartelette shells.

I don't really function very well when it's 7am and I have been awake for roughly 22hrs (memo to self: must remember to get some rest for my next night shift), so for my tart pastry I couldn't be bothered with any specific recipe. Actually, I never really use a set recipe for any of my tart shells; I simply go by the look-and-feel of the pastry between my fingers and can tell if the butter-flour-liquid ratio is adequate.
After making the pastry dough, I molded them into my tartelette pans. Then, I pricked the surface with a fork, used my pie-weights and baked them in a 350F oven for 8mins (just until it reaches a nice pale yellow colour. Don't worry if it seems undercooked, it'll finish cooking with the filling later).
For my filling, I used the random ingredients in our fridge. I chopped up some bacon slices, shredded some cheddar cheese, thinly sliced some onions (and prepped it by frying it with a bit of olive oil, rosemary and thyme), and reheated some of those frozen diced hashed browns. I mixed those hodge-podge ingredients together and divided them evenly between the tarts. I then made a mixture of 2 beaten eggs + 1tbsp milk and poured it into the filled tarts, stuck them in the oven and baked them for 12-15mins (or until the egg was set).

It was a fairly simple breakfast; homey, classic and delicious and a perfect dish to sink my teeth into before I settled down for a nice long nap.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now that's a breakfast I would like to try! That looks delicious, girl!!