Monday, January 11, 2010

Mushy Peas!


I was staring at my pantry and wondering what to make for a simple and tasty lunch that wouldn't require too many ingredients. For some reason my eyes gravitated towards a can of peas that had been sitting in my pantry for the longest time, simply waiting to be used up. I wondered what I could do with the peas, when I remembered that I had once ordered a delightful side of mushy peas at my local Irish pub. Mushy peas... that didn't seem like it'd be too difficult to whip up, and I do remember the peas being delicious. So, here's the recipe I used to make them.

Mushy Peas
Serves 2
(or 1 if you're really hungry for peas)


Ingredients:

- 1 can (398ml) marrowfat peas, drained and rinsed

- 2 tbsp butter, or margarine if you prefer

- 1/8 cup onions, finely minced

- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced

- 1/4 cup milk
- salt to taste


Method:

1. Melt butter in a saucepan over high heat
2. Fry the onions and garlic until fragrant and caramelized

3. Add in the milk and lower the heat to medium, continuing to heat until it just comes to a boil.
4. Add in the peas, lower heat and allow mixture to simmer. Place cover on the saucepan and allow peas to cook for 5-10minutes (until most of the liquid has evaporated).

5. Once peas are tender, and there is still enough liquid to help with the mashing, use a fork/spoon/potato masher to crush the peas.
6. Add salt to taste


I really enjoyed this dish. Although it didn't taste exactly like the peas I had enjoyed at the pub, I would definitely make these again. When making mushy peas, you kind of know whether or not you'll like... simply put, if you don't like peas then you probably won't like this dish. Thankfully, I love my peas... in fact, I even indulge on frozen peas when I'm a hankering for something cold. Now, all I need to make this a complete Irish meal is a nice tall pint of Guinness :P

No comments: