Monday, January 19, 2009

First Race of the Year: Chilly Chase 10k


Having participated in the Vancouver Sun Run in '08, I decided that I would take up a couple more races in '09 as a sort of resolution. Yes, I'm one of those avid runners who simply loves the feeling of the road/treadmill beneath my feet, but just haven't gotten around to signing-up (and paying) to participate in many races. Last year's 10k Sun Run was fun, and I got a fancy t-shirt as part of the registration package, and so for the first race of the year I decided to do another 10k and participated in the Chilly Chase.

My dad ran the race last year, and he kind of sold it to me by stating that once you finish the race they serve up Tim Horton's Chilli! Ah... the truly Canadian way, finishing a race and enjoying Timmy's. My dad decided to run the 5k (as the race offered the option of 5, 10, 15k) and so after the wonderfully scenic run through Langley on a brisk Sunday morning, I met up with my dad around the chilli cookhouse. This race was so much fun, and the weather was wonderful. I was worried at first that there would be a lot of icy patches on the roads (since there was still a lot of snow lingering about) but surprisingly the race course was ice-free! Another concern of mine was the crazy fog that had been making driving around Langley very difficult; but, for some strange reason, the fog decided to dissappear on race day. We were a very lucky bunch of runners!

I managed to convince a friend of mine to join the race with me, which was lots of fun. Running is always more enjoyable when you're doing it with others, and to see the look of accomplishment on your friends' faces after a race well run is very satisfying indeed. So, anyways... I think I should probably get back to baking something... or at least cooking something. (Oh, and of course prepping myself to run the 10k Historic Marathon in Langley!)

For more information about the Chilly Chase: Click HERE

My Race Results:
45th overall (out of 169 10k runners)
17th female finisher (out of 103)
6th female finisher between 20-29 years of age
Chip-Time: 50 minutes 44 seconds


3 comments:

Camille said...

OK, so I'm not sure what is in the DNA of you runner types, but I don't have that gene. My husband is an avid runner. He did the Marine Corps Marathon in 08. He runs half marathons. I wish I liked it, really I do, but alas I must sit, watch and admire those that do. Congrats!!

silverrock said...

Yeah, I don't know what's in my genes either? I think I simply like the feeling of completing a race... the adrenaline pumping and the crowds of people running with you is just such a rush! Thanks for the congrats, and congrats to your hubby for running half marathons!! I'm trying to train for one myself :)

Palidor said...

Ooooh, congratulations!! You're so brave to run a race in the winter.

Good luck with the training. I know how intense it can be since I trained for one before. Don't neglect weight training! ;-)