Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Omnivore's Hundred

I just saw this on a couple of other blogs and decided to give it a whirl. I thought to myself, "Hey, I've eaten a lot of food in my 20years of life... right?!" Well, up until going through the Omnivore's Hundred I would still believe the above statement to be true. But sadly, I have not' eaten a majority of the foods on this list! This was a shocker to me!!

How the Omnivore's 100 Works:
1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items that you would never consider eating.
4) Optional: Post a comment at Very Good Taste, linking to your results.

My Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue (thank you Eat!Vancouver :P)
8. Carp
9. Borscht
10. Baba ghanoush
11. Calamari
12. Pho (Oh, there's the best place in Langley... and it makes a mean spicy pho with beef tendon/tripe)
13. PB&J sandwich (You have not live until eating this or at least some allergen-free version i.e. Pea-butter)
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle (Courtesy of Rob Feenie! Yup, he rocks)
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes (lingonberry wine!! yeah, I'm legal in Canada)
19. Steamed pork buns (what Chinese person hasn't?)
20. Pistachio ice cream (have it every time I go to the Ol' Spaghetti Factory)
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries
23. Foie gras
24. Rice and beans
25. Brawn or head cheese
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (Asians love there peppers!)
27. Dulce de leche (It was homemade to boot)
28. Oysters
29. Baklava
30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas (loooove wasabi)
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl (ahh... at the Fisherman's Warf in San Fran)
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float (a childhood -and adulthood- favorite)
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (Hmm... nope, too refined for my liking :P)
37. Clotted Cream Tea (<-- now that would be my kind of drink; how the English turn something healthy into a cup-o-heart attack :P) 38. Vodka Jelly/Jell-O 39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat
42. Whole insects (a mealworm to be specific... kinda crunchy, not much flavor... it was in grade 6, and the teacher bribed us with a tootsie roll)
43. Phaal
44. Goat's milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth $120 or more (As a poor university student, I simply do not have $120 to spend on booze)
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel
49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut
50. Sea urchin
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonalds Big Mac Meal (The last time I ate one of these must've been 5 years ago!)
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini (Free at Embassy Suites! Yeah for the manager's special, everday from 4:30pm until 7:00pm)
58. Beer above 8% ABV (I do not like beer... nuff said)
59. Poutine (Canadians cannot avoid the national food)
60. Carob chips
61. S’mores
62. Sweetbreads (Mmm... I love the Chinese Sweetbreads)
63. kaolin (Ewww... I'm not about to eat clay)
64. Currywurst (Nope. And while I could just as easily make it right now and say I've eaten it... it's that disgusting sounding that I really don't want to give it a chance)
65. Durian (AAAHHH! My all-time favorite fruit)
66. Frogs’ legs
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake
68. Haggis
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings or andouillette
71. Gazpacho (not a fan of cold soup)
72. Caviar and blini (I've had the latter, but not the former)
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie (the pride of a hotel's Continental Breakfast :P)
78. Snail
79. Lapsang Souchong
80. Bellini
81. Tom Yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky
84. 3 Michelin Star Tasting Menu
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers
89. Horse
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox (sadly, I've had only the bagel)
97. Lobster Thermidor (Nope, but it sounds delicious)
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee (My friend has been to Jamaica and says that the coffee's amazing. Sadly, I have yet to try it)
100. Snake (Oooh, now that I would love to try)


Who knew that there were so many foods out there that I have yet to sample. Well, this is a good list so far, but I'm sure that there are even more dishes in the world that I need to try out. So, I guess I'll start from this list... eat all the foods I haven't emboldened and then move on from there... oooo, this is going to be fun. Hmmm, 51/100 ain't such a nice looking score... but it'll change; after all, my percentage can't go down :P

No comments: