Sunday, June 15, 2008

Saffron Cookies


I had purchased some saffron from a local market the other day and wanted to give it a try. The saffron was a decent price and I was willing to splurge a bit on a new ingredient. Now I just had to find a recipe that would be worthy of the lovely spice. I searched the internet and came up with this recipe from pieKnits and decided that I would attempt these lovely cookies.

To tell you the truth, I was a bit disappointed with the results. I'm not sure if it was because of the ingredients, or that I only let the saffron infuse for 1hr that did me in but these cookies didn't have that "saffron-y" punch that I was looking for. There was a mild saffron taste to them, but not enough to make me go "wow!" Perhaps I will look for more high-quality saffron in the future and give this recipe another go, and then I will let the saffron infuse in the milk for a good 2-3hrs.

All saffron-less-ness aside, the cookies turned out to be a pretty good vanilla cookie. The texture was nice; not too soft and not too hard. In fact, these cookies shared almost the same texture as a Mrs. Fields vanilla sugar cookie. If I wanted to make another wonderful sugar cookie, I would definitely use this recipe

No comments: