Monday, August 07, 2006

Pumpkins

I know that it's still summer and that Autumn has yet to arrive but I still can't get enough of the wonderful orange vegetable (or is it a fruit... oh well, whatever it is it's delicious and versatile).

After making that big family dinner which consisted of a great pumpkin soup, I still had 16 oz. of pumpkin that needed to be used up. I find that I always either have an excess amount or am lacking the ingredients I need... why can't I ever have just the right amount :( So I decided that that since my jam making skills were proven when I helped the family make cherry jam that I would make my own pumpkin butter. But wary of how this recipe would turn out I decided to half it, just in case no one else in my family shared the same love for pumpkins that I do.

Pumpkin Butter (1/2 recipe) (Yields 1 cup)

Ingredients:

1 cup(8 oz.) Pure Pumpkin
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 cup honey
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/16 teaspoon ground cloves

Method:

Combine pumpkin, sugar, honey, lemon juice, cinnamon and cloves in medium heavy-duty saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low. Cook, stirring frequently, for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened. Serve with biscuits, breads and corn muffins. Store in airtight container in refrigerator for up to 2 months.

Nutritional Information (For 1 tablespoon): 30 calories; Total Fat 0g; Cholesterol 0g; Carbs 8g; Sugars 7g; Sodium 0mg; Protein og.


This Pumpkin Butter recipe worked out really well and I had no choice but to try it out right away after making it. Store it for 2 months... yeah right! I think it'll be eaten up by the end of its 2nd week. I spread some on a piece of nutritious 100% whole wheat toast and it transformed into a delicious slice of pumpkin pie tasting toast. Now to use up the last remaining 8 oz. of pumpkin…

No comments: