Friday, July 16, 2010

Butterless Cookies

Living on my own, and trying to manage my budget for only the necessities (i.e. cds, comics, trading cards and other collectibles :P), I've noticed that butter has not become one of my regular staples in the house. I don't use butter all that often, opting to spread my toast with banana spread, kaya, pb or jam, and the only butter I have in my condo are those individual packets that I've kept from my late-night Tim Horton's runs ^_^
These mini-packs of butter are clearly not sufficient to make baked goods with; so, now when I feel compelled to bake a batch of cookies I've learned that I can be pretty savvy with my ingredient substitution. This morning, I think I may have found the perfect recipe for soft and tender butterless cookies!

Butterless Cookies (Yields 30 cookies)

Ingredients:

- 1 1/3 cup flour

- 1 cup dry oats

- 1 tsp baking soda

- 1 tsp baking powder

- 1/4 tsp salt

- 1/4 tsp each: cinnamon and allspice

- 1/2 cup granulated sugar

- 1/2 cup brown sugar, loosely packed

- 1 egg

- 1 tbsp maple syrup

- 1 tbsp caramel sundae syrup

- 2 heaping tbsp fat-free miracle whip

- 2 tsp water

- 1/2 cup of whatever mix-ins you like (I went with rum soaked raisins, cranberries and almonds)


Method:

1. Combine the flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices. Set aside

2. In a separate bowl, mix together the egg, sugar, syrups, water and miracle whip.

3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.

4. Add in the desired mix-ins.

5. Place on prepared baking sheet and bake at 350degrees for 8-10minutes. Cool on wire rack and serve.

These cookies were simply delicious and so moist that you wouldn't have believed there was no butter added. I don't know why I decided to add the miracle whip... I guess I just looked in my fridge and thought "Well, this is the most butter-esque thing I have in my fridge and I do like the taste of miracle whip... so why not?" And I'm glad I did, because it added so much life to these little cookies. Mmmmmm... now I shall go and share the goodness with the world (or my world anyways... aka my family).

No comments: