Thursday, April 09, 2009

Peach Cakes


I've had a couple of Dole ready-to-eat canned peaches hanging around my pantry, and nobody in my family is a huge fan of the syrup-drenched mushy fruits. Actually, I'm not even sure where these canned peaches came from... my sisters must have gotten it from school friends or something?!? Anyways, I was thinking of a way that I could use up these fruits so that everyone would eat them and I could clear up some space in my pantry for some more necessary baking ingredients (not quite sure what I'd consider most necessary in the kitchen?). So, I came up with this simple recipe for Peach Cakes... it's almost like a cobbler/slump-cake but with a tasty, moist, scone-like topping versus a crumbly biscuit.

Peach Cake

Ingredients for Peach Filling:
3 cans of the ready-to-eat, small peach cans (drained of half the liquid)
2 tsp corn starch
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tbsp brown sugar

Method:
1. In a small bowl, combine the peaches with the halved-liquid with the cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and brown sugar. Evenly distribute this mixture into 4 ramekins until they are 1/2 to 2/3 full of fruit.
2. Make the topping.

Ingredients for Topping:
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup melted butter
1 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Method:
1. In a separate bowl, mix butter, milk and egg.
2. Add in the sugar and stir.
3. Combine the dry ingredients, then add them to the wet ingredients. Stir until well combined.
4. Using an ice-cream scooper, scoop a portion of the mixture and place on top of the peach mixture in the ramekins. Cover the fruits fully with the topping.
Optional: Sprinkle 1 tbsp sugar on top of the topping, and before baking. This will give the top layer a nice crunch.
5. Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the top is golden brown.

Well, my plan worked and the peaches were used up. My sisters came home from school and actually ate their fruits! Yeah! Hmmm... now all I have to do is find that "necessary ingredient" to fill my pantry??

2 comments:

Steph said...

I love peach desserts!

silverrock said...

Yea! There are delish!